Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Hot enough for ya?

After leaving Baltimore Thursday morning, I arrived in Nadi early Sunday morning. The first thing the Projects Abroad director gave to me after picking me up was a bottle of Fiji water. I immediately thought, "Oh great, it is 'just water.'" Anyway, these first few days have not been extremely eventful, but every night I go to bed feeling accomplished and exhausted.
My host family is fantastic. My host mother will not even let me clear my own plate. I am living with three other 18 year old guys from Fiji, Japan and Canada respectively. Along with my other host brothers, we play great games of soccer every evening in the backyard. Also, my host dad enjoys watching America's Funniest Home Videos. Naturally, we get along swimmingly.
At the Nadi Christian Academy I, along with another volunteer from England, am responsible for teaching the 'year 4' class. We are with them from 8:30 until 3ish teaching anything from English, to health science. It is a lot of responsibility but I really like all of the kids and they are cooperative for the most part.
Tonight, the volunteers are going to be going to a place called "Smuggler's Cove" to watch fire spinning. I will try to post some pictures ASAP but I am still searching for a place with WiFi so that I can use my own computer to do the uploading.
Also, its been over 100 degrees every day that I've been here. I am not quite used to it, showing up to work dripping with sweat.
I hope all is well in B-More.
Bula!

2 comments: